LISTSERV Archives

VUB-RECOIL Home

VUB-RECOIL  November 2001

VUB-RECOIL November 2001

Re: kinematic fit

Oliver Buchmueller <[log in to unmask]>

07 Nov 2001 10:23:49 -0800 (PST)Wed, 07 Nov 2001 10:23:49 -0800 (PST)

TEXT/PLAIN

Hi Riccardo,

thanks for all your comments.

I have to admit, that I slightly disagree with your approach
of using the kinematic fit as an selection criteria by it self.
It is fact that a semileptoinc B event - ub or cb - should
fulfill the general requirements of energy and momentum conservation
and also the B mass constraint. The kinematic fit should make
the best job possible in order to provide fitted quantities
which are improved and unbiased estimators of the true underlying
kinematic of the event - "ub or cb" does not matter at this point!
Therefore, the chi^2 distribution for events stem from uc or from ub
are supposed to be equivalent - just reflecting that both are fulfilling
the above mentioned constraints (E,P,MB) equally good. Hence, the chi^2
can  NOT be used to separate ub from cb or vis versa. If it would, you
have set up a biased cfit and you can not expected to get unbiased
quantities out of it.

The right place to separate ub from vub events is AFTER the
fit by using the improved and unbiased kinematic estimators
from the fit (e.g. Plepton(fit) vs Mx(fit) will have higher
discriminating power than Plepton(reco) vs Mx(reco)).

>From a conceptual point of view, a kinematic fit is not an
selection tool by it self. Sometimes the chi^2 can be used
to separate events fulfilling the applied hypotheses (E,P,MB)
from the one which don't. But the main intention is to provide
improved and unbiased estimators of the true underlying event
kinematic.

Let me illustrate this important concept by picking your proposal:

>my naive approach would have been not to try and recover events where we
>have lost something, since this will happen more often in background
>events than in signal ones. I would have said a possible approach is to
treat
>everything as fully reconstructed signal and through away the tails in
the
>global chi^2

Unfortunately, things are not so easy for semileptoinc B events.
You have to keep in mind that we are not talking about fully measured
events. Per definition we have a missing particle creating missing
energy in the event. This quantity is supposed to be determined
from the fit. If the X-system is NOT corrected for missing objects
the whole constraint concept becomes mathematically undetermined
(more unknowns than equations)

NDF=5(Constraints) -3(Neutrino) -4(lost particle) = -2

Of course, the mathematics used for the fit can not handle this
and will automatically transform it to:

NDF=5(Constraints) -3(Neutrino+lost particle) = 2

So all missing momentum and energy from lost particles will be blamed
on the neutrino and you naturally will get biased kinematic
estimators. Even worse is the fact, that the chi^2 will not reflect
this behavior because the neutrino, as unmeasured quantity, does not
enter in the chi^2 definition -> You get a biased kinematic with
a normal chi^2 behavior. No way to separate good from bad events.

The above mentioned problem, was the reason why I have proposed
in my note that, from an experimental point of view, kinematic variables
made out of the (X,neutrino) system are very attractive.
This variables will still represent unbiased and improved kinematic
estimators of the (X,neutrino) system. But If you start to separate
them in X and neutrino you get biased estimators for events
with lost objects.

Looking forward to discuss this with you further!

Cheers,

Oliver