VUB-RECOIL May 2006

Re: Question concerning correctionratiovxb (fwd)

Kerstin Tackmann <[log in to unmask]>

9 May 2006 09:43:38 -0700 (PDT)Tue, 9 May 2006 09:43:38 -0700 (PDT)

TEXT/PLAIN

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Thu, 04 May 2006 18:59:44 +0200
From: Concezio Bozzi <[log in to unmask]>
To: Kerstin Tackmann <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: Question concerning correctionratiovxb

Hi Kerstin,

it seems I am drowning in a lot of emails and other things to do
recently... I am sorry for that.

Your remark on the B+/B0 correction ratio is correct, in the sense that
it should be computed ideally without using any information on the
recoil. In reality, this correction ratio is determined by using mes
fits. If we don't ask for a lepton in the recoil we end up with a lot of
background in the mes distribution, and the uncertatinty on the signal
yields is dominated by the systematics of the mes fits. For this reason,
we ask for the SL events selection, and this correction ratio is
independent (at the first order) on which kind of events is in the
recoil. Do you agree?

Using the additional requirement on the flavor for neutral Bs is an
unnecessary complication. It does not change the picture at first order
since our correction ratio is a double ratio. The only thing one should
make sure is that the composition of the recoil is as much as possible
the same in MC and data. The problem I see in our code is that we have
(Daniele says for historical reasons) two separate correction ratios for
vub and vcb, whereas the correction ratio is universal, and in any case
very close to the one we compute for vcb,  with or without the flavor
requirement. The reason for this is that the semileptonic events
selection gives us a sample consisting mainly of vcb events in both data
and MC. Do you agree? For this reason, the vub events should be indeed
reweighted with the same ratio we use for vcb, and computing another
correction ratio is plainly wrong. It turns out that the two correction
ratios we compute are quite similar, and I regard this as an accident,
since the composition of same and opposite flavor events in vcb and vub
is as you say quite different.

Are we making any progress? In any case, I must thank you for pointing
out this. When I picked this analysis I took many things for granted and
it's good that we check things again.

Ciao, Concezio.