ATLAS-SCCS-PLANNING-L December 2006

Re: SLC4 on lxplus (fwd)

"Leonard J. Moss" <[log in to unmask]>

5 Dec 2006 09:44:44 -0800 (PST)Tue, 5 Dec 2006 09:44:44 -0800 (PST)

TEXT/PLAIN

Some news about Atlas software and SLC4.  Note in particular the
info on memory requirements and performance gains in 64-bit mode.

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, 5 Dec 2006 16:27:20 +0100
From: David Quarrie <[log in to unmask]>
To: Peter Elmer <[log in to unmask]>
Cc: Joel Closier <[log in to unmask]>,
     Philippe Charpentier <[log in to unmask]>,
     David Quarrie <[log in to unmask]>,
     Federico Carminati <[log in to unmask]>,
     Jarek Polok <[log in to unmask]>, Niko Neufeld <[log in to unmask]>,
     "linux-certification (for general discussion on ongoing CERN Linux
    certifications. Onl)" <[log in to unmask]>,
     Stefano Belforte <[log in to unmask]>, Ian Fisk <[log in to unmask]>,
     Michael Ernst <[log in to unmask]>,
     Elizabeth Sexton-Kennedy <[log in to unmask]>,
     Vincenzo Innocente <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: SLC4 on lxplus

Belatedly, feedback from ATLAS. Our SLC3/gcc3.2.3 builds run fine
under SLC4 as long as the appropriate compatibility RPMs are
installed. We do not support development on this hybrid.

Our native SLC4/gcc3.4.6 builds look ok in 32-bit mode, but are yet
to be fully validated. This is planned for the production release
scheduled for the end of Jan 2007. Not surprisingly, the 64-bit mode
builds are not as advanced as the 32-bit ones, but are partially
functional, with validation expected to be later than the 32-bit
ones. One surprise is that they use almost x2 as much memory as the
32-bit applications, for a ~30% cpu performance gain. The increase in
memory is greater than we expected.

	David

--
David R. Quarrie  E25510, PH Division, CERN, 1211 Geneva 23, Switzerland
Email: [log in to unmask] Tel: +41 22 767 1310 Mobile: +41 79 423