Font:

LISTSERV Archives

SNOWMASS-EF Home

SNOWMASS-EF  February 2013

SNOWMASS-EF February 2013

request re the Brookhaven meeting

"Peskin, Michael E." <[log in to unmask]>

snowmass-ef Snowmass 2013 Energy Frontier conveners <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 8 Feb 2013 12:06:08 -0800

text/plain

Dear Colleagues,

It is time to begin our planning for the all-hands meeting of the Energy Frontier working groups at Brookhaven, April 3-6.   Sally Dawson and Hong Ma are the local organizers of the meeting, but they asked us to provide a meeting agenda.  We have questions for you about the Brookhaven meeting schedule at the end of this note.

We settled on the following as a general plan for the workshop:

Wednesday morning, April 3:

Introductory exhortation from Chip
Landscape of future facilities for Energy Frontier
Simulation frameworks
Exciting post-Moriond physics news

beginning Wednesday afternoon, and continuing through Friday:

parallel working group meetings

We will have a panel discussion on some relevant issue at the end of the day on Thursday, just before the Wine and Cheese reception

Michael will give a lab colloquium on Energy Frontier on Friday afternoon.  You can skip it.

Saturday morning, April 6:

summary session, with reports from all 6 working groups, ending before 1 pm.

During the parallel part of the workshop, we have 2 large rooms (capacity > 140), 2 smaller ones (capacity > 50) and 2 very small ones (capacity 17, 23). Additional, even smaller, rooms might be available (e.g. Sally's office), and there are also unorganized spaces for working.  It would therefore be good for each working group to identify thematic sessions that would be of broader interest to the participants in the workshop, so that we can schedule these in the large rooms at times that do not overlap.

So, here is your homework assignment:

Each working group should make a schedule for the meeting in which 2-hour blocks are assigned to major topics in your study.  The whole meeting might have 8 of these blocks, that is, 2 on Wednesday afternoon, 3 on Thursday, and 3 on Friday.   Please schedule 5 blocks for your working group.  The rest will be free time to actually work, and time for your group members to visit other meetings. Of the 5 blocks, there might be one or two topics that would be of wide interest and would attract a large crowd.  There might also be some topics, maybe not the same ones, for which the 2-hour block should be extended to 3 hours because you expect many contributed papers or lengthy discussion.

Please give us a schedule for your working group that contains:

    at most 5  2-hour blocks, with topics assigned to each
    of the 5, at most 2  blocks that will attract many people and require a large room
    of the 5, at most 1  block for which you really need 3 hours

We will put this data together and come up with an overall schedule for the meeting.

If you would get back to us with a preliminary schedule by Friday, Feb. 15, that would be ideal.

Thank you very much!

Michael and Chip

  Michael E. Peskin                           [log in to unmask]
  HEP Theory Group, MS 81                       -------
  SLAC National Accelerator Lab.        phone: 1-(650)-926-3250
  2575 Sand Hill Road                       fax:     1-(650)-926-2525
  Menlo Park, CA 94025 USA              www.slac.stanford.edu/~mpeskin/