Font:

LISTSERV Archives

SNOWMASS-EF Home

SNOWMASS-EF  March 2013

SNOWMASS-EF March 2013

FW: challenges

"Peskin, Michael E." <[log in to unmask]>

snowmass-ef Snowmass 2013 Energy Frontier conveners <[log in to unmask]>

Sun, 17 Mar 2013 20:09:16 -0700

text/plain

Dear Colleagues,

We have been thinking about ways to explain the interest in the continuation of the experimental
program in Energy Frontier.   We propose the following idea, which we ask you to address in
the studies of your working groups and in your final write-ups.   We will discuss this idea further
at the phone meeting tomorrow.

We tend to think in terms of eliminating regions where new physics might be. We wonder if we
might also talk about a few test-case discoveries. We anticipate that this might be a healthy way
for groups to talk to one another, but also in the end a useful way to explain how our detectors are
capable of following up realistic leads that might point to new physics. It also would be a useful
story-telling device for our writeup and eventual public and agency consumption. We also thought
it might be fun.

We have made a list of anomalies below which are gentle extrapolations from current hints in the
data, or signals that are reasonable and "right around the corner" when 14TeV running begins.  There
are 9 cases in all. We have tried to include at least one specific to each working group, and also to
include anomalies that are actually attracting interest now (at an unconvincing level of significance)
and could become established later in the decade.

For each of these anomalies, we would like you to discuss

1. What would an experiment need to do to be convincing?

How will we establish that this effect indeed exists and is a violation of the Standard Model? What are
the dangerous systematics? What tests would a group do?  This will
      be primarily the task of the specific working group under which the anomalies are listed.  Note that
         for #3 under New Phenomena this is really the task of the Cosmic Frontier.

2. What could it be?

What kinds of new physics models lead to this particular deviation from the Standard Model?  For this
     we would like you to look at all of the anomalies, not just those in your working group.  In the
      area of your working group, what future experimental program -- over the next 20 years -- would be
         required to follow up on and explain the discovery?

3. What next?

Note that any of these discoveries would lead to the need for future research. What would the most
fruitful next directions? Within, and outside of the EF?

We hope that this task will not be burdensome and will add some needed optimism to your assessments.
We plan to talk more about this at the Brookhaven meeting.

Thank you very much,

Chip Brock and Michael Peskin