LISTSERV Archives

SNOWMASS-EF Home

SNOWMASS-EF  April 2013

SNOWMASS-EF April 2013

EF 2013.04.25 Conveners Meeting Minutes

Chip Brock <[log in to unmask]>

snowmass-ef Snowmass 2013 Energy Frontier conveners <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 26 Apr 2013 10:39:00 -0400

text/plain

-------------------

Energy Frontier Conveners' meeting   April 25, 2013

Attending, at least: Yuri, Rick, Heather, Chip, John, Daniel, Soeren, Kaustubh, Markus, Michael P, Michael S.,Doreen, Sanjay, Liantao, Eric, plus a few others who joined after discussion began.

Agenda:

1.  We discussed the experience with using vidyo to host remote participants
at the BNL meeting.  The consensus was that hosting vidyo on personal laptops
was acceptable but far from optimal.   It would be better to have a dedicated
videoconference setup for each room, or, at least, a computer and screen on
a cart that can be wheeled into each conference room.   The Seattle organizers
should assume that this facility will be needed for all sessions and do their best
to provide it.  Chip and Michael will communicate this to Gordon Watts.

2.  We discussed briefly the schedule for Seattle.  Chip and Michael will distribute
a schedule soon.  They warn that there will be less time for contributed papers
than at BNL, especially if you would like time for discussion in your working group.

3.  We discussed session titles and content for the parallel sessions at Seattle.
Michael will process the discussion and send an updated list.  If you have additional
suggestions, please send them to  [log in to unmask] The list expanded into the following
incomplete draft:

a. Dark Matter
b. lepton-flavor violation
c. quark-flavor violation (anticipating, though that IF will also suggest this)
d. future of the Higgs Boson
e. Instrumentation matters
f.  proton decay...esp SUSY connections
g. precision parameter measurements - why and how well.

4.  We discussed questions that we will address to the other frontiers.  The two
most important topics in this discussion were:

(1)  estimation of the reach of lepton-number-violation and quark flavor probes in
terms of new particles and how that correlates with direct production sensitivities at LHC.

(2) question of determining the properties of dark matter particles.  DM only gravitational?
What properties could be measured? What if nothing is found? How to distinguish more than
one species of DM?
Michael will process the discussion and send an updated list.  If you have additional
suggestions, please send them to  [log in to unmask]

5.  We had an open-ended discussion of the question of what the justification
is for future machines at higher energy after LHC, e.g., 33 or 100 TeV pp
colliders.  We need to think further about this and to articulate a point of view. Likewise, the
HL-LHC justification will require careful arguments.

6. We briefly discussed the comparison of precision W, Z measurements with
measurements of the triple gauge couplings.  Doreen emphasized that such
comparisons can be made in an effective Lagrangian framework, and that this
will be the approach of the Electroweak WG.  Does this give insight into the
physics of the various possibilities?  That is less clear and needs more discussion.

We will hold these meetings every week from now until Minnesota:
11 am  PDT/ 2 pm EDT.    Chip and Michael will circulate the agenda for
each week a day or two in advance.  However, much of the meeting will be
devoted to continuing discussion of the key high-level issues.

Respectfully submitted,

Michael and Chip