]

Font:

LISTSERV Archives

SNOWMASS-ELECTROWEAK Home

SNOWMASS-ELECTROWEAK  April 2013

SNOWMASS-ELECTROWEAK April 2013

Re: question from the Capabilities group

"Peskin, Michael E." <[log in to unmask]>

snowmass-electroweak Snowmass 2013 Electroweak study group <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 19 Apr 2013 02:51:24 -0700

text/plain

Folks,

I am confused by this thread.

The main barrier to improvement of alphas is the fact that it is difficult to disentangle perturbative and nonperturbative contributions to event shapes in e+e-.   The nonperturbative contributions fall off as 1/Q, so a substantial moment arm in Q is needed.   Currently what is done is to compare Z
data with PEP/PETRA data, although the latter is taken with detectors that are now two generations old.

If TLEP is built, it will be possible to get high-statistics samples of e+e- event shapes in the same, modern detector at 91 GeV, 250 GeV, and 350 GeV.  Then it should be possible to fit out the 1/Q terms and reach per mil precision in alphas.    Probably it is worth bringing in an alphas expert (e.g. Iain Stewart at MIT) to quantify this.

Need I add that, if ILC is built in Japan, we can carry out this program even sooner and extend it to even higher energies?

Thanks,

Michael

  Michael E. Peskin                           [log in to unmask]
  HEP Theory Group, MS 81                       -------
  SLAC National Accelerator Lab.        phone: 1-(650)-926-3250
  2575 Sand Hill Road                       fax:     1-(650)-926-2525
  Menlo Park, CA 94025 USA              www.slac.stanford.edu/~mpeskin/