Font:

LISTSERV Archives

SNOWMASS-EF Home

SNOWMASS-EF  July 2013

SNOWMASS-EF July 2013

status of colloquia organized by EF

"Peskin, Michael E." <[log in to unmask]>

snowmass-ef Snowmass 2013 Energy Frontier conveners <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 18 Jul 2013 14:23:31 -0700

text/plain

Dear Colleagues,

I made a mess of trying to organize the colloquia for Minnesota from the
Energy Frontier, and I would like to straighten this out now.  Many of you
did not like my proposal with many short talks, but it is only in the last
day or so that I heard alternative plans.  I have now tried to
restructure the schedule to be consistent with what I am hearing from you
and others.   We have to finalize this, so if this is NOT OK NOW, PLEASE
SEND ME THE CORRECTIONS.

The consensus of CF and IF is that these colloquia should have the general
form:

1 hour of pedagogical talks, with 2-3 longer talks
30 minutes of "Tough Questions"  in the form of a panel discussion
45 minutes of open discussion

Our Higgs group also likes this framework.   I have tried to restructure our
colloquia in this way, following the guidance from Higgs --  except for the
one on Energies Beyond LHC, for which we already agreed on the format
with Bill Barletta.  Please see the result below.

The Higgs and Electroweak conveners should find people to fill in the
TBA names.

I would also like to have EF conveners or other EF people as Tough Question
panelists for the panels on Dark Matter and Quark and Lepton Flavor.
This is also indicated below.

OK, please let me know if this is now OK, and send me the speaker names.

Thank you!

Michael

Higgs

Higgs couplings: What more must we learn about the Higgs?
      What accuracy is needed?  What  is the size of the Higgs sector?
                    40'    TBA  (Sally?)
Extended Higgs, flavor, and low-energy observables  20'    TBA  (Intensity Frontier)
Tough Questions and Answers   30'     4 x TBA
Open Discussion 45'

Precision Frontier

Status and future of precision electroweak observables  40'    TBA
Low-energy electroweak observables:  parity violation, g-2, etc  20'   TBA  (Intensity Frontier)
Tough Questions and Answers   30'    4 x TBA  (1 from IF)
Open Discussion 45'

Energies Beyond LHC

Physics goals    20'      Markus Luty
Technology challenges of high energy pp colliders   20'    TBA   (Barletta)
Technology challenges of high energy lepton colliders 20'   TBA    (Barletta)
Tough Questions and Answers   30'   Denisov,  TBA  (Barletta), Palmer, Hogan
Open Discussion 45'

other EF speakers:   (mainly to emphasize the power of LHC to address these issues)

Tough Question panelist for Dark Matter:   volunteer needed   (Lian-Tao ?)
Tough Question panelist for Quark and Lepton Flavor:     (Michele ?)

  Michael E. Peskin                           [log in to unmask]
  HEP Theory Group, MS 81                       -------
  SLAC National Accelerator Lab.        phone: 1-(650)-926-3250
  2575 Sand Hill Road                       fax:     1-(650)-926-2525
  Menlo Park, CA 94025 USA              www.slac.stanford.edu/~mpeskin/