LISTSERV Archives

SNOWMASS-EF Home

SNOWMASS-EF  August 2013

SNOWMASS-EF August 2013

Re: Version 4 of the Exec Summary

LianTao Wang <[log in to unmask]>

snowmass-ef Snowmass 2013 Energy Frontier conveners <[log in to unmask]>

Sat, 24 Aug 2013 13:17:29 -0500

text/plain

Hi Michael and Chip,

In the V4 version of the executive summary, the last part of the first
paragraph of the energy frontier section reads "Questions about the
Higgs boson also inspire the search for the dark matter particles and
for flavor-changing rare decays, since in both cases, the motivating
theory often comes from models of the Higgs and its role in
symmetry-breaking." I found this to be a bit confusing.

It is true that the new physics scenarios addressing the naturalness
of Higgs mass (such as SUSY, compositeness) sometimes contains dark
matter candidate, and have flavor structure (problem). However, there
are plenty of other motivations for both the search for dark matter
(they exist) and deviations in rare decays (flavor puzzle), other than
its possible connection with the Higgs. Perhaps we should say there
are well motivated searches for dark matter  and new contributions to
rare decays. Then say they can also have interesting connections to
Higgs.

best, Liantao