LISTSERV Archives

SNOWMASS-EF Home

SNOWMASS-EF  August 2013

SNOWMASS-EF August 2013

Re: new version

"Graham W. Wilson" <[log in to unmask]>

snowmass-ef Snowmass 2013 Energy Frontier conveners <[log in to unmask]>

Sun, 25 Aug 2013 14:28:06 -0500

text/plain

Dear All,
     (this contains replies to Ashutosh's queries in the main body - but
also new considerations).

     If the ILC goes ahead, it seems to me that a 100 TeV VLHC if it is
achievable is clearly
a front-runner in science potential and technical feasibility for
superseding LHC and
complementing the ILC  program by exploring much higher mass scales in
direct production.
Whether the VLHC is at the right scale and would find new things is a
different matter.
If ILC doesn't go ahead in the next few years, I think there will still
be a compelling argument to
have a high energy e+e- facility to do the physics outlined in paragraph 3.

Perhaps the best way to address the ILC sensitivity about the VLHC
discussion would be to make it
clearer that the VLHC discussion is in the context of having a plan to
really supersede LHC in the
hadron collider approach to energy frontier physics in tandem with a
lepton collider like ILC
which would be really complementary to LHC/VLHC. (I doubt VLHC (or the
MC) is targeting H-> c cbar ...)
Paragraph 4: Suggest: options -> possibilities. Options reads as if all
these things really are realistically on
the menu and implies that they can be chosen as potential alternatives
to HL-LHC and particularly ILC.

I don't think this body, at least in the context of the energy-frontier
science discussion paragraphs,
is the one to make recommendations related to R&D priorities, especially
accelerator R&D priorities.
If it does so it should be balanced and also recognize the need for
continued funding for LARP,
detector R&D for HL-LHC, and accelerator and detector R&D for ILC to get
the best physics out of the programs
outlined in paragraphs 2 (LHC) and 3 (decision-point lepton collider).

However the R&D most needed to get new facilities like both ILC and VLHC
is political and financial R&D !
Clearly two things that could extend the energy reach of ILC and VLHC
and/or potentially lower the cost
would be continued high-gradient superconducting RF R&D and high-field
magnet R&D respectively.
My understanding from the talks was that high-field magnet R&D is
something that is currently being
pursued quite actively including as a generic accelerator technology,
and should clearly continue and be supported.
But my understanding is that the high gradient SC RF program at Fermilab
has been eliminated.

I think calling out VLHC accelerator R&D in the further future
facilities paragraph is unwise and
reads like a recommendation. (Suggest accelerator R&D -> accelerator).
What would seem to me most needed
for VLHC - but Chip is the expert - is a revamped integrated accelerator
and physics conceptual design study.
My understanding is that there is no technical show-stopper. I think
what is needed is a more robust and
reviewed physics case (in this post Higgs discovery phase, planned
HL-LHC, plain-vanilla SUSY not
experimentally detected at LHC8, pre-LHC14, pre-ILC era), plans for
achievable energies, and believable cost
and schedule estimates.

                   regards
                          Graham

--