LISTSERV Archives

SNOWMASS-QCD Home

SNOWMASS-QCD  August 2013

SNOWMASS-QCD August 2013

Re: draft of QCD report

Zack Sullivan <[log in to unmask]>

snowmass-qcd Snowmass 2013 QCD study group <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 1 Aug 2013 09:03:03 -0500

TEXT/PLAIN

Hi Joey,

this is a nice start to the QCD report.  I know the lattice results
section will be beefed up soon, and I am looking forward to seeing a
section on jets at the LHC that we'll discuss tomorrow.

What I was hoping to see is some discussion of QCD (beyond alpha_s) that
we have special access to via a lepton or photon collider.  Much work has
been done on this over the years, and some summary would be great if this
is input to P5.

It is late to start anything else new, but for photon colliders I am
finishing up a study while at Snowmass for a regular publication on how
little we understand the apparent QCD structure of a photon above 1 GeV,
and what we might be able to see at 160 GeV (Higgs factory), 250, 500 GeV.

At Snowmass 2005 I wrote a proceeding with roughly the same conclusions
the new paper will have:
"Understanding Light: Why we need a terascale photon collider"
http://arxiv.org/abs/hep-ph/0509012

That study used a naive photon spectrum and was for 500 GeV.  The study I
am doing now uses a realistic photon spectrum and more energies.  Given
the tight deadline, you could start with that old paper as a basis for
discussing something about QCD that is only accessible at photon
colliders.

Is there any other physics we want to incorporate?

I will do what I can to get this study finished up so we can have a newer
input into the report.

 	Zack