]

Font:

LISTSERV Archives

QSERV-L Home

QSERV-L  September 2013

QSERV-L September 2013

Re: consolidating qserv-l into lsst-dm-db

Jacek Becla <[log in to unmask]>

General discussion for qserv (LSST prototype baseline catalog)

Tue, 3 Sep 2013 19:18:45 -0700

text/plain

Daniel,

My reasoning was that I'd like to keep things simple, and there are
often topics on the border, like the one about using some qserv
tools to partition Summer2013 data. Does it belong to qserv-l?
Does it belong to lsst-dm-db? I am not sure! That is why, (given
that the group is small and we have no users from outside of lsst),
I think it'd be much simpler for us to simply have one list
(note that the entire lsst-dm still have one list, there is
no separate list for data challenges, or apps, etc.
Infrastructure is the only was that shows some life)

Once we have external, non-lsst qserv users, I think we should
open a dedicated list for communicating with them anyway. There
are topics that are lsst-internal (e.g. LDM-135 doc is not for
non-lsst consumption) that we might occasionally discuss.

Yes, I agree in a perfect world we should have several lists:
qserv-core, qserv-admin, Level-1 catalogs, Level-2 catalogs,
lsst-db-general, lsst-db-support, and possibly few others,
although it feels like it might be an overkill for the near
future (but see below...)

If you knew that qserv-focused and other db-focused lists have
exactly the same membership, would you still care about having
a qserv-focused list?

I don't see how to draw a line cleanly. We could try:
"all 100% qserv related topics go to qserv list, all mixed
go to db list", but that would mean that in order to see all
qserv related discussions you'd still need to look at both
lists (additionally, I find it very confusing that our
existing lists are managed by different list servers...).
In either case we need to do some cleanup. I see no reason
for Bill to be only on qserv-l, or AndyH to be only on
lsst-dm-db, and I am sure Mario is surprised we have a qserv
mailing list that he has missed to be on)

Having said all that :), I am happy to try something like:
  - lsst-dm-qserv-core  (managed by lsst)
  - lsst-dm-qserv-admin (managed by lsst)
  - lsst-dm-db          (managed by lsst)
  - qserv-external      (managed at slac)

if everyone would buy into this and try hard to
a) ensure all discussions happen on the mailing lists, and
b) pay attention to what should go where

Jacek