LISTSERV Archives

QSERV-L Home

QSERV-L  October 2013

QSERV-L October 2013

Re: qserv mtg Thursday 1:00pm

Jacek Becla <[log in to unmask]>

General discussion for qserv (LSST prototype baseline catalog)

Thu, 17 Oct 2013 10:13:51 -0700

text/plain

Hey,

It looks like I'll have to duck out at 1:25, which is a shame,
I really wanted to be in all discussions we planned for today,
but I probably shouldn't ignore a meeting with David MacFarlane
that popped up last night. (Daniel, please make detailed notes
after I disappear !)

Given I'll disappear early, I'll raise some things in writing...

I spent A LOT of time cleaning qserv trac pages, with particular
focus on capturing todos / tasks. Specifically:

  * link to redesign page is now under "for developers" section

  * I envision "redesign" and "todo pages (links to both pages are
    now next to each other on the qserv page) should complement each
    other. Redesign should capture research, thinking process etc
    and todo should capture concrete action items that we decided
    to do. (Sounds ok to everyone?)

  * I went through all our todos on todo page, closed complete
    things, moved relevant things to redesign page, and reorganized
    into "fy2014" tasks (things we want to do for sure this FY),
    "sometime during construction" tasks (things we want to do
    for sure before production), and "maybe" tasks (things we
    did not promise, things we don't have to deliver, but let's
    not forget about them, think about them etc)
    I'd like to ask you all to quickly scan that page and update,
    add tasks, move around etc as needed. Any suggestions how to
    structure it better?

  * I also started improving the redesign page, mostly by pushing
    blocks of things one level down to dedicates pages, see
    https://dev.lsstcorp.org/trac/wiki/db/Qserv/UserComm
    as an example. My thinking here is that we need a place per
    each topic to capture our detailed thoughts, relevant links,
    design, todos etc. These todo-s won't necessarily have to be
    done this FY, I expect we will push them to the "todo" page
    (to the appropriate section: "fy2014", "during constr", or
    "maybe")
    Again, if you like this approach, I'd like you to help me
    with reorganizing other sections that way. If you don't like
    this approach, suggest an alternative. I'd like us to sync
    on that today (by email or at the meeting)

  * one think that still bothers me in the documentation of our
    tasks/todos is that different pages vary a lot in focus:
    some are more like design documents, some are very plain,
    with a problem statement only, in some cases we have
    information spread across several pages (again, often
    varying in quality and focus). It is very uneven.
    Ultimately, I think we want to end up with pages that:
     a) capture our thought process, research we did to
        arrive at the decisions we made etc
     b) describe our ultimate design
    I have the feeling we can arrive there by the end of FY2014
    if we continue putting effort into documentation.
    If anyone has any good suggestion how to simplify getting
    there (without too much effort and duplication), I'd like
    to hear

  * I started putting some thoughts into "user friendly
    communication" issue (as oppose to merely improving the
    documentation), and I'd like us to have a discussion about
    it sometime soon, after we are done with discussing modules.

    * one issue related to modules: the "non-SQL commands"
      (see https://dev.lsstcorp.org/trac/wiki/db/Qserv/nonSqlCommands)
      will probably need a mini-parser. This begs a question
      related to modularity: are we extracting common aspects
      from sql-commands parser and non-sql-commands parser,
      or are these two going their own ways... Please think
      about it as you discuss modules.

Jacek