LISTSERV Archives

SNOWMASS-EF Home

SNOWMASS-EF  October 2013

SNOWMASS-EF October 2013

Re: Energy Frontier reports - sent !

Robin Erbacher <[log in to unmask]>

snowmass-ef Snowmass 2013 Energy Frontier conveners <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 17 Oct 2013 16:37:24 -0700

text/plain

Dear Michael and Chip,

Congratulations on this nice summary report.  I've been following the lengthy discussion, and I agree that this current version is an improvement in language, and I'm generally happy with the tone.

You mentioned that there is still time for comments, and I'm not sure how serious you were.  In any case, I have only (mostly) minor comments, mainly for clarity, on the version that you sent (not the one attached to this email but the one you sent after you hit "save") entitled EF_summary_10-15.pdf.

1) The two-sentence introduction seems to be plain definitions, and is bland.  I won't suggest something (unless you want) since you are going to work with another wordsmith anyway (professional editor?).  But the intro doesn't draw the reader in until the second paragraph.

2) line 94: The terminology "Future experiments on the Higgs should also improve our knowledge" seems to be uncommon usage.  Normally we would say "Future experiments should also improve our knowledge of the Higgs" or "Further measurements (at future experiments)…" or some such.  The current wording struck me as odd.

3) line 102: There is no transition sentence here, we just jump from Higgs to WZ without any preface or motivation referring to the fact that it is number 2 on the list (line 56), and no subsections to show the topic has been changed.  The sudden transition is surprising.  How about something referring back to your point in number 2, like "Aside from these direct studies of the Higgs and possible partners, precise measurements of the W and Z bosons are needed to test the theory.  The study of the W and Z bosons has two aspects: first, …"  (Or something like that, maybe your wordsmith can help.)

4) line 115: I believe interpretations should be plural

5) line 116-117: the sentence looks like it was edited improperly and doesn't make sense as-is.

6) line 199-120: this sentence doesn't parse very clearly, I had to read it twice.  Here I added a comma and a "if-then" phrase for clarity: "Collider experiments at higher energy are sensitive to the three-gauge-boson couplings, (comma) and for the first time, to non-standard four-boson interactions, *which would be* indicative of new interactions in vector boson scattering.

7) lines 126, 134: It seems to me transition sentences would be useful here, too.  I also think the top quark should come right after the W/Z discussion because in your outline on lines 54-59 you mention W, Z, top all in number 2), but here you've inserted QCD with no preface, and only move to top after that.

8) line 152: the paragraph is list-like, and could be helped by a transition word or two.  How about: "…with accuracies possible at the sub-percent level.  Meanwhile, the billions of top quarks produces at the high-luminosity LHC will allow…"

General remark:
I'm a little surprised that dark matter didn't play a bit bigger role in the summary toward the end.  It is mentioned in the introduction (lines 42-47) in a generic way but never fleshed out. It is mentioned in the new particles section but it seems in passing (moving on to a whole class of new particles). The next two mentions of it are in the context of a lepton collider being able to find signatures that might be missed at a proton collider, but there is little discussion of the capabilities of the LHC searches, nor of the impact it has had on the phase space, nor of the significance of this fact.

The reason I think the significance of this potential at the Energy Frontier should be emphasized more is partly due to the overlap with the Cosmic Frontier here, but mainly because it is one of the Big Questions that any list of Big Questions would include, alongside the Higgs/hierarchy problem (which is heavily emphasized in the intro).  The fact that colliders can help to address this other very big question is a little washed out, in my reading of it.  If there is a way to add some statements emphasizing the importance of this, perhaps on page 5 in the new particle area or just in the final summary, this would make our summary even stronger, I believe.

That's it-- overall I have to say-- very nice job, and thank you for all of your endless hours of work to get us here.

Cheers, Robin