LISTSERV Archives

QSERV-L Home

QSERV-L  January 2015

QSERV-L January 2015

Re: RAID vs JBOD

Andrew Hanushevsky <[log in to unmask]>

General discussion for qserv (LSST prototype baseline catalog)

Fri, 16 Jan 2015 17:29:44 -0800

Given the schedule, less complexity is always better. That alone sort of
tips it to RAID with an LVM. Not particularly speedy as you have more
disks participating in each I/O operation but it probably would be OK
for qserv purposes. As for reliability, well it will be better in the
first 4 years or so, after that the probability of multiple disk failures
increases (you can get better data on that from Lance).My two cents
worth.

Andy