LISTSERV Archives

QSERV-L Home

QSERV-L  November 2015

QSERV-L November 2015

Re: release process

Fritz Mueller <[log in to unmask]>

General discussion for qserv (LSST prototype baseline catalog)

Thu, 5 Nov 2015 09:06:35 -0800

text/plain

Hi Frossie,

I think the qserv monthlies are closer in spirit to the whole-stack
bi-annuals than they are to the whole-stack weeklies?  These are in some
sense "external" releases for the qserv-only audience (such as it is),
and we would like to have them published on the eups distrib server with
easy-to-tell-someone names (i.e. not containing git SHAs).

Operationally, these are the checkpoints at which we would have new
folks interested in exploring qserv get on the bus.  They are also the
points at which we bootstrap new devs, in terms of all our package
dependencies (the qserv team as yet uses the eups-centric dev model, and
not the lsstsw one, generally.)  And this is the stride with which we
currently update our externally visible published documentation,
summarize our git log into a more user-centric changelog, etc.  This has
worked well for us because it matches our sprint schedule as well.

I don't think we (qserv) currently have anything like the whole-stack
weeklies -- the monthlies provide a rapid-enough stride for users, and
devs operate with latest-monthly base + manually upgraded
distrib-published dependency packages (when necessary) on top, plus
latest qserv sources on top.  Devs generally resync their stack for
dependencies after each monthly release.  Since we have so few
dependencies, we usually have only one or two, if any, dependent
packages that ever need to be manually updated between the monthly
releases (e.g. xrootd, db, log, or boost).

Hope that provides some insight into how we view/use/do these.
Suggestions for how to improve/streamline are of course always welcomed!

     thanks,
        --FritzM.