LISTSERV Archives

QSERV-L Home

QSERV-L  December 2015

QSERV-L December 2015

Re: LSST sur Grid5000 ?

Emmanuel GANGLER <[log in to unmask]>

General discussion for qserv (LSST prototype baseline catalog)

Tue, 15 Dec 2015 11:58:34 +0100

text/plain

Hi all,

From my knowledge, there is a serious limitation when using platforms as Grid5000. Mainly, that the data is not resident on the platform, and the disk space gets recycled once the job is over. In practice, it means that we may have to reload the data each time we perform a test the Grid5000 for test, which is highly incovenient.
Obviously, if it were possible to overcome this limitation, and having some resident use of the memory (for 10's of TB !!) it would make Grid5000 very valuable indeed.

The presence of this limitation is one of the reasons for which there is the development of platforms dedicated to experimentation on Big Data, which would allow for a resident data set to be stored in the system and to be shared by many users for their experimentations. The DELL cluster at CCIN2P3 as well as the Galactica platform in Auvergne are precisely tailored to meet this requirement, which makes them useful for the experimentation.

Now, I think it would be really interesting to know if Grid5000 can be used in a Data-orinted way. Perhaps more discussion at the technical level should be scheduled with Lucas, and including our research experts on this field.

Cheers,

Emmanuel