]

Font:

LISTSERV Archives

XCACHE-L Home

XCACHE-L  February 2018

XCACHE-L February 2018

Re: Xcache and ARC cache and ATLAS integration

David Cameron <[log in to unmask]>

list for xcache development and deployment <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 26 Feb 2018 09:02:45 +0000

text/plain

Hi all,

Monday at 6 is a bit difficult for me, but I will give a somewhat related talk in the Rucio workshop on Friday morning and I guess some of you will be there too.

Just for some overall background info on what we do in Nordugrid: ARC CE is managing the data transfers for ATLAS jobs rather than the pilot, and it also manages a local cache which is basically an area of a shared file system accessible by all the worker nodes. The ATLAS pilot normally uses tools like gfal-copy to move data but for Nordugrid it uses “mv” because the files are already placed in the pilot’s working directory by ARC CE before the job starts.

I think for xcache the workflow is slightly different because the active party in the transfer is the pilot on the worker node rather than the xcache itself. As far as the pilot is concerned it’s doing a normal xrdcp transfer from some grid storage, it’s just that there is a special configuration to proxy through the xcache and read data from there if it’s already cached. So to answer the original question I’m not sure if a special pilot mover is required for xcache, it’s just a different configuration of xrdcp. But I don’t know too many details of xcache so please correct me if I’m wrong!

Cheers,
David