Date: Wed, 06 Feb 2002 11:21:57 -0500 (EST)
From: Doreen Wackeroth <[log in to unmask]>
Cc: Ulrich Baur <[log in to unmask]>,
    Sally Dawson <[log in to unmask]>,
Subject: LoopFest

Dear Colleague,

 we are pleased to invite you to the

   *                                              *
   *                LoopFest                      *
   *                                              *
   *  Brookhaven National Laboratory, Upton, NY   *
   *                                              *
   *              May 9-10, 2002                  *
   *                                              *

 The US Linear Collider Working Group is organizing a working group on
 theoretical issues (higher-order calculations) at a future Linear e+e-
 Collider (LC). To kick off the activities of the NorthAmerican working
 group on "Radiative Corrections (LoopVerein)" and to prepare for the
 International Linear Collider workshop in Korea
 (http://lcws2002.korea.ac.kr), the LoopFest aims to provide a forum to
 coordinate the NorthAmerican activities within the international
 LoopVerein.  The LoopVerein is an international initiative convened to
 meet the theoretical challenges posed by the ultra-high experimental
 precision of a future LC.  For more information about the LoopVerein
 please visit http://www-zeuthen.desy.de/theory/TLV/TheLoopVerein.html
 and http://www.fatcat.ifj.edu.pl/ecfadesy-krakow/talk.php?tid=63.

 A future LC will measure the properties of Standard Model particles at
 an unprecedented level of precision. If there is physics beyond the SM
 emerging at the TeV scale, the Tevatron and the LHC will most likely
 provide hints while a LC will enable systematic studies to
 disentangle different new physics scenarios.  There are many examples
 of scenarios where a particle escapes detection at the Tevatron/LHC,
 but could be discovered at a LC, e.g. a light Higgs-boson with
 non-standard decay modes.

 For an overview of the physics potential of a future LC we refer to
 http://tesla.desy.de/new_pages/TDR_CD/PartIII/physic.html,
 http://xxx.lanl.gov/abs/hep-ex/0007022,
 http://xxx.lanl.gov/abs/hep-ex/0106055, 0106056, 0106057 and 0106058.

 To fully exploit the physics potential of a future LC, theoretical
 predictions need to be of highest standards, too.  At the LoopFest we
 are planning to discuss what is needed on the theory side in order to
 meet this challenge.  To only name a few topics, this discussion could
 include precision measurements of the properties of

 - electroweak gauge bosons
 - the top quark
 - Higgs boson(s)
 - new particles, e.g. SUSY particles

 After having identified the theoretical issues, we are planning to
 discuss how to proceed towards attacking these issues.

 Your expertise is extremely important to meet the theoretical
 challenges posed by the expected experimental precision at a future
 LC.  We hope you will be able to attend and are looking forward to
 your reply.

 Please let us know asap if you are interested in participating by
 e-mailing to one of the organizers.  Please also indicate in your
 e-mail if you would like to give a brief presentation.  We also would
 like to hear about any suggestion you may have in order to make the
 LoopFest a success.

 Inexpensive dormitory rooms are available at BNL and can be reserved
 by e-mailing [log in to unmask]  Information on limo and train service to
 BNL, along with a list of off-site hotels can be found at
 http://quark.phy.bnl.gov/www/visitors.html.  We will charge a small
 fee of $50 to pay for snacks and dinner on Thursday evening (details
 about the method of payment will follow in a separate E-mail).

 We are looking forward to seeing you at the LoopFest.

 With best regards,

            the organizers

            Ulrich Baur,      [log in to unmask]
            Sally Dawson,     [log in to unmask]