Norman Graf

P.S. Here is the original notice. Apologies if you are receiving this again.

          Linear Collider Consortium Organizational Meeting

                      Friday, April 19, 2002
                  Cornell University, Ithaca NY

The HEPAP Subpanel on Long Range Planning for US High Energy
Physics has identified the design and construction of a high-energy,
high-luminosity, electron-positron linear collider as the most
important new initiative for our field.  A number of issues in
both detector and machine technology need to be resolved before
we can start construction of such a collider, and a larger community
needs to become engaged to complete the necessary R&D.  We anticipate
that a U.S. Linear Collider Steering Committee (LCSC) will be formed
expeditiously to bring together the laboratory and University efforts
to work together towards this goal.

As a step in this process the Cornell Laboratory for Elementary
Particle Physics (formerly Laboratory of Nuclear Studies) is holding
a one-day meeting to organize a linear collider R&D consortium with
other interested university groups.  The consortium will provide the
broader university community with an opportunity to have and maintain
ownership in the realization of the LC under the aegis of the LCSC.
Our goal is to submit a consortium proposal to the NSF for linear
collider R&D resources by September 2002.  We anticipate that the
consortium proposal will include requests for resources for both
detector and accelerator R&D efforts to be carried out by the
participating members.

This will be the first of two organizational meetings.  The purpose
of the first meeting is to identify participants and their research
interests and to help newcomers develop specific research projects.
We will hear about current efforts and open questions in linear collider
detector R&D and facilitate the entry of traditional HEP groups into
the linear collider accelerator R&D efforts.  In addition, we will hear
from representatives of complementary efforts being organized elsewhere.
At the second meeting, to take place this summer, participants will
present research plans and move toward proposal submission.

Registration is free. For more information on the program, local
contacts, and sign-up see
http://www.lns.cornell.edu/public/LCCOM/