Dear Colleagues,
 The calorimetry and software/simulation working groups of
the ALCPG (American Linear Collider Physics Group) are organizing a
joint workshop on LCD algorithms/software. It will be held Nov 7-9
(Thursday-Saturday) at the Northern Illinois University, DeKalb,
IL (35 miles west of Fermilab). The goals of the workshop are to:

* bring together people interested in development of algorithms and
software for LCD in general, and energy-flow algorithms in particular,
* familiarize the participants with the current tools and examples
through talks and hands-on demonstrations/tutorials by the experts,
* get users' opinion and help to make the software infrastructure as
user-friendly and powerful as possible,
* consolidate current activities and involve newcomers to expand the
effort,
* prepare a roadmap for the coming months through identification and
prioritization of issues and needs, and assignment of specific tasks to
volunteers to the extent warranted.

Broadly, the mornings of the first 2 days are reserved for talks, and
the afternoons for interactive demos/tutorials, and
exploration/discussions on what is presently available. The last (half)
day is for discussions on future plans. Representatives from Europe will
be there to tell us about their perspective and to exchange views on the
scope of international collaboration. We hope that the participants will
come out of the workshop with a clearer picture of the job at hand and
some guidance on how to get started on it.
The web site for the workshop is open for business. Please visit
http://nicadd.niu.edu/ws/ for the (preliminary) agenda, registration,
accommodation, etc. We will add more information in the coming days.
Registration is free, but required, so we can make necessary
arrangements. We need a good estimate of head-count pretty soon. Those
who are planning to participate are strongly encouraged to register by
Oct 24.
Queries about computing should be directed to Rob McIntosh
([log in to unmask]). Queries about practical details
(accommodation, parking etc.) should be directed to the workshop
secretary Kristi Gordon ([log in to unmask]). You can stay at the
Holmes Student Center, within easy walking distance from the workshop
site. If you choose to stay off-campus, a list of hotels/motels is
available at the above web page. We are negotiating to get a special low
rate for the workshop participants from the Best Western. Stay tuned.
Questions, comments, suggestions are welcome. Hope you can make it.
--
Dhiman Chakraborty, Ray Frey, Andre Turcot (for the calorimetry WG)
Norman Graf (for the software/simulations WG)