I'm trying to build LCDRoot 3.5, and have encountered what seems to be a
difficult obstacle: the configure script will not recognize my xml4c
directories (xml4c-incdir and xml4c-libdir) as valid. In other words, it
can't find the files specified in "configure" that cause the (necessary)
xml4c feature to be enabled.

Namely, the configure script is looking for files associated with xml4c
version 4.4.0.  However, the current xml4c version, the only one
available from [http://www.alphaworks.ibm.com/aw.nsf/techs/xml4c], and
hence the one I've downloaded, is version 5.2.0.  Due to changes in xml
standards, some of the files previously included under
include/xercesc/dom/ in xml4c are now included under
include/xercesc/dom/deprecated/, and the numbering scheme for the xerces
library is now different, in addition to being different numbers
(current is libxerces-c.so.22, configure wants libxerces-c1_6_0.so).

Obviously, I can somewhat easily "fix" this problem by hacking the
configure script to look for the new files, but whether or not it will
do me any good depends on how LCDRoot actually uses the xml4c package.

Will LCDRoot be able to properly find _and use_ the includes and
libraries from xml4c-5.2.0, given that I edit their names and locations
in "configure"?

Also, will the xml-ified detector specifications still work the same way
if I actually get this all installed, or will I need to account for xml
version differences?

Any insight into this issue would be greatly appreciated! :)

Thanks!

Jamie Hegarty