Dear Colleagues,
 You can find the President's FY2005 budget request for the
Department of Energy's science programs at:
http://www.whitehouse.gov/omb/budget/fy2005/pdf/appendix/doe.pdf#page=9

  In addition to being disappointed in the HEP request, I was
shocked at the reduction in the budget for biological and
environmental research. Then I read what their mission is:

" This program develops
the knowledge base necessary to identify, understand,
and anticipate the long-term health and environmental consequences
of energy use and development and utilizes the
Department's unique scientific and technological capabilities
to solve major scientific problems in the environment, medicine,
and biology. Planned activities include programs in global
climate change; terrestrial, atmospheric and marine environmental
processes;..."

No surprise there,
Norman Graf