Dear Colleagues of the World-wide Study:

   We transmit the following communication regarding the Detector
   Design Study of a silicon-based tracking LC detector.  This study
   has been discussed in Paris and at past regional meetings.
   After discussions on the best path toward advancing this effort,
   we have asked John Jaros and Harry Weerts to launch the study,
   open to participation from all regions.  We encourage those
   interested world-wide in this approach to the linear collider
   detector to join in this study.

      Best regards,
      Jim Brau, David Miller, Hitoshi Yamamoto
      co-chairs, World-wide Study

   --- --- --- --- --- ---

   DETECTOR DESIGN STUDY OF A SILICON-TRACKING BASED DETECTOR

   Dear Colleagues, world-wide,

   A Detector Design Study of a linear collider detector based on
   silicon tracking is being organized, with the objective to produce
   an optimized design based on detailed understanding on the time
   scale of about one year.

   A series of workshops is being planned to develop this study.  The
   first of these will be on the afternoon of Saturday, July 31, at
   Victoria, after the ALCPG Workshop.  At that meeting we will discuss
   the goals for the study, make a plan for the effort of the next year,
   and will make a first attempt at identifying those interested in working
   on various aspects.

   Many of you wanting to participate will be unable to come to Victoria.
   We will post transparencies, and welcome your input via email before
   and/or just after the Victoria meeting.  Following this first meeting,
   we will communicate a summary of the plans that are formulated.

   The first meeting in Victoria will be followed with a series of
   workshops, including one at the Durham ECFA meeting, and one at the
   next ACFA LC Workshop.

   We look forward to your participation in Victoria and beyond.

       Sincerely,

       John Jaros and Harry Weerts