Clare just pointed me to the Recipe for using GHit based matching in CM2
analyses
http://www.slac.stanford.edu/BFROOT/www/Computing/Offline/AnalysisTools/TruthMatching/TruthMatching.html
where it says at the bottom

NB: Occassionally, the GTrack constributing to your reco candidate will
not be associated to a MC BtaCandidate. In these cases, the pointer
returned (mc in the code above) will be NULL. However, the consistency
will still be valid since the GTrack did constribute to the reco
information.

That is exactly the message we get, right?

Furthermore, the MC block seems to be filled alright, the breakdown of our
background into the various truth categories is very similar to what we
saw before.

Cheers,
Henning