  Hi Stephen,

  We went through this in some private mail just before the mailing list
was setup (and Andy said more or less the same thing as you wrote below).
ROOT still has some legacy people using Solaris 7, so still needs to support
Sol7. Hopefully whoever it is can be convinced that the world has moved on...

  [Not sure who you CC-d: note that I've CC-d this to the mailing list and
not the HN. That combination isn't doing exactly what I thought it was doing.]

                                   Pete

On Mon, Aug 23, 2004 at 07:54:18AM -0700, [log in to unmask] wrote:
> Hi Gerri,
>         Solaris 7 is pretty old. Is there still a need for that? BaBar has
> been using Solaris8 for a long time now and we're about to move to 9.
> It looks like 10 will be out soon.
>         Hopefully Andy can answer your actual question thought... I've
> cced a couple of other people who might be knowable about Solaris
> "issues" like this one.
>
>                                                         regards,
>
>                                                         Stephen.
>
> On Mon, 23 Aug 2004, Gerardo Ganis  wrote:
>

> >   Hi,
> >
> >   I could finally test compilation of the latest xrootd test version
> >   on Solaris 7: the problem with strlcpy has disappeared,
> >   but there is another one that prevents from building
> >   successfully:
> >
> > Making xrd component...
> > Compiling XrdPoll.cc
> > "/usr/include/sys/poll_impl.h", line 271: Error: A declaration was expected
> > instead of "}".
> > 1 Error(s) detected.
> > gmake[4]: *** [../../obj/sun4x_57/XrdPoll.o] Error 1
> > gmake[3]: *** [SunOSall] Error 2
> > gmake[2]: *** [all] Error 2
> > gmake[1]: *** [Xrd] Error 2
> > gmake: *** [all] Error 2
> >
> >   this is caused by a bug in /usr/include/sys/poll_impl.h:
> >   two "if's" are incorrectly nested so that the code opening
> >   the "{" never gets pre-processed.
> >   Since the first 'if' is
> >
> > #if defined(_KERNEL) || defined(_KMEMUSER)
> >
> >   I have made a try by using -D_KMEMUSER to compile XrdPoll.cc:
> >   it seems to work fine, but perhaps there are unwanted side-effects.
> >
> >   The machine I have access runs this:
> >
> >   "SunOS refsol7 5.7 Generic_106541-20 sun4u sparc SUNW,Ultra-5_10"
> >
> >   The problem was corrected in more recent versions - eg Solaris 8.
> >
> >   What should we do?
> >
> >   Gerri
> >

> --
> |Stephen J. Gowdy                     | SLAC, MailStop 34,       |
> |http://www.slac.stanford.edu/~gowdy/ | 2575 Sand Hill Road,     |
> |http://calendar.yahoo.com/gowdy      | Menlo Park CA 94025, USA |
> |EMail: [log in to unmask]       | Tel: +1 650 926 3144     |

Peter Elmer     E-mail: [log in to unmask]      Phone: +41 (22) 767-4644
Address: CERN Division PPE, Bat. 32 2C-14, CH-1211 Geneva 23, Switzerland