*** Discussion title: xrootd development and discussion
Email replies to [log in to unmask] must include:
  Subject: ...change this to be about your reply.

Hi Gregory,

>   Subject: ...change this to be about your reply.
>
> A small side point: the code should not use "#include <sys/poll.h>",
> unless it's unavoidable because of platform problems.  It's a non-standard
> header.  The Unix98 standard header for poll() is <poll.h>:
Agreed, and this is being changed as we port. At this point, it's
historical as at one point, that's what had to get included on some old
Linux platform for which the code was compiled.

> Finally, at some point in the future we'll have to think about replacing
> the deprecated gethostbyname(), etc., with getaddrinfo() and
> getnameinfo(), so that we don't run into problems with IPv6.
> Unfortunately the last time we looked at this the new functions weren't
> quite up to speed on Solaris (unfortunately I don't remember which
> version).
That's in the works as well, spurred by MacOSx porting. Thus far,
getnameinfo() (the accepted way now) works in Solaris 9 and exists in
MacOSx. The code will likely change to make this the default for
platforms that have it. Unfortunately, it's buggy in Linux and may return
duplicate entries which usually don't matter but for the xrootd server
does matter.

> P.S. strlcpy() does not appear in Unix98 or Unix03.
Yes, people seem to have a love-hate relationship with this routine. There
is a Linux rpm that includes it, for what that is worth.

Andy