  Hi Gerri,

  Ok, thanks. Andy do you want to integrate the changes or should I?

  (Probably best to put the tarball someplace and send an URL rather than
send an attachment to mailing list... ;-)

  There are some other small bug fixes from Andy for that have come out
in the past week or so. Andy and I agreed earlier that trying to make
another new version on Monday would probably be best. (We plan to restart
some servers at CNAF and at SLAC on Monday.)

                                   Pete

On Fri, Aug 27, 2004 at 06:59:47PM +0200, Gerardo Ganis wrote:
>   The attached tarball contains some changes/additions proposed
>   to enlarge platform support and to better fit the needs of ROOT.
>   Also attached is a detailed list of the changes wrt 20040824-0002.
>
>   Contents:
>
>   Two new options to configure:
>
>   1) Support for option "--build-sec-only" to build only the security
>      modules;
>
>   2) Support for option --enable-trace/--disable-trace to switch on/off
>      compilation of the code under symbol NODEBUG (the various TRACEs
>      and DEBUG macros ... following Andy comment/request at the phone
>      meeting); for the moment, it is enabled by default.
>      This required some fixes here and there, because some definitions
>      were missing in the 'define NODEBUG' case.
>
>   Enlarged platform support:
>
>   1) Steer use of /dev/poll from 'configure' via the variable CFDEVPOLL:
>      this is set to '-D_DEVPOLL' only for Solaris >= 8 and allows to solve
>      the problem observed on Solaris 7.
>
>   2) Added rules file for gcc on solaris and icc on Opteron.
>
>   3) Introduced in config/GNUmake.rules.<ccflv> the symbol LD for the
>      linker, since in some cases it may be different from the compiler
>      (icc on Opteron).
>
>   I have also found a typo in a variable name in config/GNUmake.options.in :
>   LDOP was always empty (!): I am not sure about the consequences for xrootd
>   (on Solaris it was linked without "-fast -xarch=v8plus").
>

>   Finally, I have made a tentative completion of the config/ARCHS file with all
>   the architecture/compiler combinations which may need eventually to
>   be supported (at least partially, ie for security) (this follows a private
>   exchange with Fons).
>   There is a new column in the file showing the present status of support:
>   values are: "no" for 'not yet supported', "all" for 'it should be ok',
>   "sec" for 'ok for security modules'.
>
>   I have successfully build and run very basic tests on:
>
>      i386 Linux RH: gcc 2.96, 3.2, 3.3, icc
>      AMD64 Opteron: gcc 3.3, icc
>      Itanium: icc, gcc
>      Solaris 7 (CC), 8 (CC, gcc 3.2)
>
>   Let me know what you think.
>
>   Cheers, Gerri

> Changes in xrootd-20040824-0002-patch-GG
>

> config/ARCHS
>   o Add new column with status of support
>   o Add architectures/compilers for which support should be provided
> config/GNUmake.env.in
>   o Add new variables for compilation flags (CFTRACE, CFDEVPOLL)
>     to be defined by configure
>   o Rename CFEXTRA to CFSTRLCPY
> config/GNUmake.options.in
>   o Fix typo in the definition of LDOP
>   o Add flag LD defining the linker name
> config/GNUmake.rules.gcc
>   o Add definition of TYPELD (used by LD)
>   o Add CFTRACE in TYPEMISC
> config/GNUmake.rules.gccia64
>   o Add definition of TYPELD (used by LD)
>   o Add CFTRACE in TYPEMISC
> config/GNUmake.rules.gccx8664
>   o Add definition of TYPELD (used by LD)
>   o Add CFTRACE in TYPEMISC
> [...]

Peter Elmer     E-mail: [log in to unmask]      Phone: +41 (22) 767-4644
Address: CERN Division PPE, Bat. 32 2C-14, CH-1211 Geneva 23, Switzerland