Dear Xrootd Gurus,

As you know, we are trying to evaluate xrootd to see if it does what we
need. We have some questions that may speed along our understanding.

1. When a request is made for a file that has to be staged from an HSM
server, we would like to get back either:
a) an estimate of how long it will be before the file is ready for
reading, or
b) a least a bit indicating that this request will wait for staging.
Is this possible without "major" changes?  The "prepare" request looks
like it has space for an arbitrary response, but it isn't clear to me
from the protocol description how arbitrary it really is. It may be
that open needs to send back an indicator as well, but that may be
harder.

2. Is there a way to pin a file once it has been staged to a disk
server, so that it is not a candidate for removal from the server? If
so, is this done on a per-file basis, and/or a per-directory basis?

3. Is there anyway a file can be dropped from a disk server while a
client has it "open"?  If so, will subsequent access attempts result in
a new redirect or recache attempt?

4. Does xrootd automatically replicate a file to an additional server
if demand for that file gets too high for a single server to sustain?
All that I've read suggests that it does, but I'm having a little
trouble tracking down the code that does the work.

Many thanks for your assistance.

--
Gregory J. Sharp                   email: [log in to unmask]
Wilson Synchrotron Laboratory      url: