  Hi Andy,

  As you probably saw from the rest of this thread, I think it had to do
with the different compiler versions using either the static or the shared
version of the library (and the fact that the library order wasn't correct
in the link line). In any case it is fixed now.

                                   Pete

On Thu, Sep 02, 2004 at 07:08:09PM -0700, Andrew Hanushevsky wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I recall we had this problem long time ago with Objectivity. The solution
> was to include -lCstd (or something like it). It was a problem with the
> compiler in that it didn't include the library by default (you shouldn't
> have to do that as a rule). Geri notes that his version of the compiler
> doesn't have the problem. So, I suspect that along the way we dropped
> including the library manually and it sometimes works and sometimes
> doesn't. I don't have an immediate solution to this (ther than manually
> changing the make file for the particular compiler).
>
> Andy
>
> On Thu, 2 Sep 2004, Peter Elmer wrote:
>
> >   Hi Jean-Yves,
> >
> > On Thu, Sep 02, 2004 at 03:54:27PM +0200, Jean-Yves Nief wrote:
> > >             I've tried it on Solaris 8 and I had a problem with some
> > > referenced symbol while I was trying to start a xrootd daemon (the
> > > problem is located in libXrdOfs.so):
> > > 040902 14:40:27 001 XrootdConfig: ld.so.1: /opt/xrd/bin/cur/xrootd:
> > > fatal: relocation error: file /opt/xrd/lib/
> > > cur/libXrdOfs.so: symbol
> > > __1cDstd2l4n0ALchar_traits4Cc___6Frn0ANbasic_ostream4CcCTA__pkC_3_:
> > > referenced symbol
> > > not found opening shared library /opt/xrd/lib/cur/libXrdOfs.so
> > >
> > > I did not try the Solaris 9 distrib yet.
> >
> >   Thanks for reporting this. I can reproduce it with the sol8 binary tarball
> > on shire01 (a sol8 machine) at SLAC.
> >
> >   SLAC only uses the sol9 binary tarball, that is presumably why we didn't
> > catch it. I just verified that the sol9 binary tarball does work on a sol9
> > machine.
> >
> >   What OS version are you actually running on your machines? Can you just
> > use the sol9 build while I sort out what has happened to the sol8 one?
> >
> >                                    Pete

Peter Elmer     E-mail: [log in to unmask]      Phone: +41 (22) 767-4644
Address: CERN Division PPE, Bat. 32 2C-14, CH-1211 Geneva 23, Switzerland