  Just to be explicit:

  Note that I wrote "aaa.root", "bbb.root", "*.root" in the examples below,
but they can of course be any type of files (tarballs, BaBar xtc files, log
files, etc.).

  I _would_ however still use the URL syntax:

   root://host:port//some/path/filename

so that in the case where someone is moving ROOT files around the syntax
will remain consistent with subsequently opening the file from with ROOT
(and via TXNetFile).

                                   Pete

On Wed, Sep 01, 2004 at 04:08:05PM +0200, Peter Elmer wrote:
>   Hi Fabrizio and Andy,
>
>    In order to test the posix-like client in the situation where we initially
> intend to use it, could we make an application "xcp" or "xrdcp"? (I don't care
> strongly which name we use. "xcp" is shorter, of course, but it looks like
> there are already things out there called "xcp". Does either of you have a
> preference?)
>
>   We will want to do things like:
>
> xcp aaa.root root://host:port//some/path/bbb.root
> xcp root://host:port//some/path/aaa.root bbb.root
> xcp root://host1:port1//somepath1/aaa.root root://host2:port2//somepath2/bbb.root
>
> Andy, I assume you have thought about this. How far do you want to go with
> it? Could/should we support other aspects of the semantics of "cp" , i.e.
>
>   o wildcards for local files:
>
>      xcp *.root root://host:port//some/path/
>
>     Obviously the "xcp" command can just disentangle this into the full set
>     of separate copies and do them one-by-one, hence nothing special is
>     required from the server, even in a load balanced environment.
>
>   o wildcards for server side files:
>
>      xcp "root://host:port//some/path/*" .
>
>     I assume you don't want to support this due to the dynamic nature of
>     the catalog when using the redirector. (FWIW, I agree with that.) But
>     does it make sense if done on a dataserver?
>
>   How is the directory treated in a load balanced/cache filesystem environment
> for something like the following?
>
>   xcp aaa.root root://host:port//some/path/bbb.root
>
>   Is "/some/path" just created automatically?
>
>   Are there other important subtleties to this, in particular with the load
> balancer?
>
>                                    Pete

Peter Elmer     E-mail: [log in to unmask]      Phone: +41 (22) 767-4644
Address: CERN Division PPE, Bat. 32 2C-14, CH-1211 Geneva 23, Switzerland