>      xcp "root://host:port//some/path/*" .
>
>     I assume you don't want to support this due to the dynamic nature of
>     the catalog when using the redirector. (FWIW, I agree with that.) But
>     does it make sense if done on a dataserver?
Only under some interpretations. If you're trying to copy what is there,
then it makes sense. If you're trying to copy what should be there, then
it doesn't make sense. In any case, it requires that the client do a
directory listing and generate individual copies.

>   How is the directory treated in a load balanced/cache filesystem environment
> for something like the following?

>   xcp aaa.root root://host:port//some/path/bbb.root
>
>   Is "/some/path" just created automatically?
>
>   Are there other important subtleties to this, in particular with the load
> balancer?
The 'some path' is not created authomatically. Additionally, doing a
dirlist via the load balancer will invariable give you unwanted results
because the xrootd on that machine simply returns what is in the directory
on that machine. That's logical in the sense that any other machine is
just as bad, potentially.

Andy