  Hi Andy,

  I know that the olbd doesn't support more than 64 server olbd's per manager
(for >64 you suggest that people group them in groups of 64 hierarchically),
but I think there might be a bug for >32 data servers.

  I setup 32 data servers plus a redirector and spread some files around
on the 32 data servers. Here everything seems to work: when I access the
files via the redirector I'm always redirected to the right place.

  I then stopped the servers on the redirector, started 6 additional data
servers (for a total of 38) and restarted the xrootd and olbd on the
redirector. With that setup I sometimes find that the client is redirected to
a machine which doesn't have the file. In the particular example I looked
at it was directed to tori0291 when tori0254 actually has the file.

  I looked at the order in which the server olbd's logged in to the manager
olbd (see (a) below) and a pattern jumps out: the data is on the 5th server
while the client was redirected to the 37th (=32+5). Is there perhaps some bit
shifting or similar set for 32 instead of 64 somewhere? I'm not sure anyone
has yet tried >32 servers. (SLAC currently has 30 in the xrootd pool.)

  (This was with the HEAD of CVS as of right now.)

                                   Pete

(a)

     1  tori0287.slac.stanford.edu
     2  tori0288.slac.stanford.edu
     3  tori0289.slac.stanford.edu
     4  tori0260.slac.stanford.edu
     5  tori0254.slac.stanford.edu   **
     6  tori0282.slac.stanford.edu
     7  tori0252.slac.stanford.edu
     8  tori0277.slac.stanford.edu
     9  tori0272.slac.stanford.edu
    10  tori0262.slac.stanford.edu
    11  tori0255.slac.stanford.edu
    12  tori0275.slac.stanford.edu
    13  tori0280.slac.stanford.edu
    14  tori0278.slac.stanford.edu
    15  tori0267.slac.stanford.edu
    16  tori0251.slac.stanford.edu
    17  tori0284.slac.stanford.edu
    18  tori0276.slac.stanford.edu
    19  tori0286.slac.stanford.edu
    20  tori0263.slac.stanford.edu
    21  tori0253.slac.stanford.edu
    22  tori0264.slac.stanford.edu
    23  tori0281.slac.stanford.edu
    24  tori0283.slac.stanford.edu
    25  tori0274.slac.stanford.edu
    26  tori0258.slac.stanford.edu
    27  tori0270.slac.stanford.edu
    28  tori0257.slac.stanford.edu
    29  tori0271.slac.stanford.edu
    30  tori0268.slac.stanford.edu
    31  tori0265.slac.stanford.edu
    32  tori0259.slac.stanford.edu
    33  tori0266.slac.stanford.edu
    34  tori0285.slac.stanford.edu
    35  tori0261.slac.stanford.edu
    36  tori0290.slac.stanford.edu
    37  tori0291.slac.stanford.edu   **
    38  tori0292.slac.stanford.edu

Peter Elmer     E-mail: [log in to unmask]      Phone: +41 (22) 767-4644
Address: CERN Division PPE, Bat. 32 2C-14, CH-1211 Geneva 23, Switzerland