  Hi Andy,

On Tue, Sep 14, 2004 at 10:42:25AM -0700, Andrew Hanushevsky wrote:
> >   But not so easily at all sites, which is what I want. It is much easier
> > for people to cough up their log files than to setup the full monitoring
> > system with collector and relational database (and then synch that). We'll
> > try that just at SLAC as it will provide more information than we need for
> > the immediate use case. (In fact we can 2/3 of the way there just collecting
> > the redirector log files with the "odc.trace redirect" turned on.)
> What if Jacek's program could also recreate a log file offline instead of
> using a relational database (e.g., some command line option). That would
> be far preferable than clogging xrootd with additional logging which tends
> to serialize a lot of stuff.

  I'd rather not require people to start yet another thing (e.g. the
collector). At the moment most people put the "odc.trace redirect" in their
config files anyway and in both cases they would have to send some sort of
log file to SLAC.

                                   Pete

Peter Elmer     E-mail: [log in to unmask]      Phone: +41 (22) 767-4644
Address: CERN Division PPE, Bat. 32 2C-14, CH-1211 Geneva 23, Switzerland