On Thu, Sep 16, 2004 at 12:33:31PM +0200, Fabrizio Furano wrote:
> Artem Trunov wrote:
> >Few thoughts about xrdcp, while work is in progress.
> >
> >1. It should support multistream copy, i.e. multiple connections to
> >xrootd. But it must also support single stream only, i.e. with no control
> >stream etc. Multiple streams imporove WAN performance, sigle stream only
> >usefull for other stuff.
> >

> I believe that this is not possible, since by construction the client
> multiplexes the connection instead of multiplying them. This might be a
> decision to be done at the client level, which does not involve xrdcp
> itself, which is only an application which makes use of it.
>
> >2. It should support custom TCP buffer size.
>
> I agree.

  At some point here you start to recreate tools like bbcp within xrootd.
It would probably be better to leave those things as separate components
that are used when needed rather the duplicate the functionality.

> >3. It should support stdin/stdout data pipes. Usefull for piping to/from
> >tar archives and to filters like 'less' and 'grep', if we will need to
> >read log files over xrootd.
>
> This also can be reasonable. Obviously the first alpha version won't
> have it, but we can choose at which stage we can implement this kind of
> things.

  This seems to me outside of the normal expectation for "something with the
semantics of cp", no? (Sounds more like 'cat'.)

  Artem, you want to read the log files remotely at all costs, don't you?

                                   Pete

Peter Elmer     E-mail: [log in to unmask]      Phone: +41 (22) 767-4644
Address: CERN Division PPE, Bat. 32 2C-14, CH-1211 Geneva 23, Switzerland