I would adopt url syntax to generalize specifying data sources and targets.
The use of "cat" is Unix legacy in the sense that cp never had a way to
specifying that the target was stdout. So the gurus hard linked cat to cp so
that the program would know, by the name it was invoked, how to configure
the output.

For pipes, I propose we use:

pipe:[//<hostname>[/<pipe application>]]

The default pipe application, if not specified, would be stdout for output
and stdin for input. The default host would be localhost. In fact, for
xrdcp, it would make no sense at this point to allow anything but localhost
for the pipe location.

For instance, using xrdcp to take data from application "foobar" and feed it
into an xrootd server would look likeL

xrdcp pipe://localhost/foobar xrootd://xrd-rdr03/store/file.root

You can imagine sematically going wild with this syantx, but for now, we
should keep it real simple.

Andy