Hi Geri,

Well, I finally made it work. MacOSx was not that easy to support, sigh.
In the process I needed to make several additions to configure and add
some architecture types. Could you please review those changes?

The main difference is how the architectures are named. The common
practice
appears to be to call it ppc_darwin_70 (I have no idea about versions
prior to 7.5). In the process I also added as a distinction for RHEL3 and
Linux on opterons.

Finally, the Mac has one peculiar problem. Between releases they changed
the format of shared libraries. The linker is told what to do by the
setting of the environmental variable MACOSX_DEPLOYMENT_TARGET which, for
me, has to be set to 10.3 (you can't build realistic shared libraries
prior to this release). The default, unfortunately, is 10.1; totally
useless. So, now we have a problem because there is no way to conveniently
set this environmental variable fom the make file. BTW 10.3 kernel
starting in MacOSx 7.5. I think we should support kernels at this level or
higher. Doing anything older will be too intensive of a job.

Andy