  Hi All,

  Just for the record, just before the CHEP conference the ROOT team made the
first ROOT build (4.01/02) with

    o a version of xrootd (20040907-0403) available out-of-the-box
    o the TXNetFile client plugin integrated into ROOT itself

See:

    http://root.cern.ch/root/Version40102.news.html
    http://root.cern.ch/root/Version401.html

>From this point on the TXNetFile client will be maintained within ROOT
itself. For the server package the plan is that the latest stable version
will be included each time a new ROOT version is made. This will insure that
there is a working version of the server available out-of-the-box from
ROOT itself.

  If you need the absolute latest version of the server package, you can
always download it from the xrootd page itself:

   http://xrootd.slac.stanford.edu/

It will of course remain interoperable and backwards compatible with the
client used from ROOT itself.

  Thanks to everyone who worked to pull all of this together....

                                   Pete

  I'm away from 8 Oct - 4 Nov (inclusive) with only occasional access
       to email, so you should expect some delay in my responses.
Peter Elmer     E-mail: [log in to unmask]      Phone: +41 (22) 767-4644
Address: CERN Division PPE, Bat. 32 2C-14, CH-1211 Geneva 23, Switzerland