Hi Andy,

  Yes, there is a difference. Internally the two urls are parsed and in
the former case "xyzzy" is considered as path/file, while in the latter
it's "/xyzzy".
  This behavior comes directly from root's TUrl.

  The unix syntax seems a good idea to me. Also because there is no need
to limit the transfer to root files.

  In this case, however, I need to specify user, pwd and port number.

  So, the new syntax for remote files could be:

[user[:pwd]@]host[:port]:path

  but in this case there would be an ambiguity problem, since e.g.
noric02:3456 can mean "file 3456 on noric02" or "the current directory
on noric02 port 3456"

  Any comment?

  Fabrizio