Dear Xrootd Team,

The latest release of xrootd seems to work quite well for us on Solaris
after we tweaked a few things:

1. src/XrdXr/XrdXrMain.cc calls setMaxWaitTime(10) in two places. We
found that changing the 10 to 120 ensured that we didn't get timeout
errors.

2. src/XrdClient/GNUMakefile references perl5.8 in two places, instead
of just "perl". (If you explicitly require 5.8, then I suspect that
should go in the perl script, not the makefile.)

3. src/XrdClient/TestXrdClient.cc has hardwired file paths in it, and
has limited utility as a result. If there was some way for this program
to read the config file to find the root and then create and delete
some files it could be a useful post-installation test.

We also noticed that src/XrdClient/XrdClient.hh still declares the
first argument to the Read() to be const void * buf.  The "const"
should not be there. The buffer is going to be written to by the Read
method.

We are able to run the master servers on RHEL 3 with this version. We
can't run a dataserver until there is a workaround for the netstat
problem in etc/XrdOlbMonPerf.

--
Gregory J. Sharp                   email: [log in to unmask]
Wilson Synchrotron Laboratory      url: