  I have just committed in CVS a patch to process all the PERL
  related stuff in configure (check of version, definition of
  relevant variables). This should eliminate all the warnings
  observed by Pete and Alvise.

  There are two additional options to configure:

     --enable-perlint

                     to enable the compilation of the perl admin
                     interface

     --with-perl=<path_to_perl_5.8>

                     to force use of a specific perl executable;
                     the perl wrapper requires v 5.8 or higher.

  By default the interface is not built.

  Gerri