  [Add xrootd mailing list]

  Hi Gregory,

On Wed, Nov 10, 2004 at 12:35:09PM -0500, Gregory J. Sharp wrote:
> Dan Riley suspects that our staging/namespace problem is because we do
> not have an mps.scan directive. (I will try it later today or early
> tomorrow, if all goes well.)
>
> The SLAC example xrootd.cf files also have no mps.scan (or oss.scan)
> directive. Is this because somebody was overzealous in cleaning it up
> before putting it on the web? Or is it not really necessary?

  I was the one who put it on the web and I intentionally put _exactly_
the version that SLAC uses to avoid this sort of confusion.

  Looking at the mps documentation it looks to me as-if "mps.scan" is
used to migrate newly created files _out_ from disk to tape, which we
do not do at SLAC with the system described as the SLAC example (new data
is migrated to mass storage from separate area for simplicity). Your
problem is when the files are staged back in, is that correct?

                                   Pete

Peter Elmer     E-mail: [log in to unmask]      Phone: +41 (22) 767-4644
Address: CERN Division PPE, Bat. 32 2C-14, CH-1211 Geneva 23, Switzerland