  Hi Alvise,

On Wed, Nov 24, 2004 at 11:14:07AM +0100, Alvise Dorigo wrote:
> I recently fixed a number of bugs. Please use the new jar in attach
> instead of that one I sent to you some day ago. Now in the source and
> destination argument of XrdFileCopy you can omit the TCP_PORT number (it
> will try to get it from /etc/services under linux and from
> c:\\winnt\\system32\\drivers\\etc\\services under WinNT/XP, otherwise
> default=1094); in addition a 3rd parameter cab be passed to specify the
> size of copy chunk (larger chunk means more copy speed, default chunk
> size is 256 kB) so:
>
> java- jar XrdCopyFile.jar xroot://<USER>@<HOST>/SRC_PATHFILE
> xroot://<USER>@<HOST>/TARGET_PATHFILE [CHUNK_SIZE_IN_KB]
>
> Note 1: The ASYNC communication has been deeply tested with 10
> concurrent clients repeatedly reading from the same file and from the
> same server (this to put all clients on the same physical channel). No
> server-crash during reading has been triggered yet, but it will be done
> asap. The server-crash tolerance has been fully tested with 1 and more
> client in SYNC mode.
>
> Note 2: Some data corruption takes place when "oksofar" is handled, that
> means that copying files using chunks > 2MB can create data corruption.
> I'll investigate.
>
> Note 3: The Java client is supposed to run under WindowNT/XP too (please
> remember JDK1.5) but very few tests has been done: even if Java is fully
> multiplatform everybody knows that small differences are between
> platforms, versions and vedors... I developed and tested under Fedora
> Core 3 Linux (kernel 2.6.9-1.667) Sun JDK 1.5.

  Ok, thanks: I've updated the jar file linked from the xrootd page. Very
nice that we have a windows client now, too....

  BTW, you can't send mails with large attachments to the mailing list. It
will bounce them. (And in general sending large attachments to mailing list
is bad practice.) You can probably just stick any future update files
someplace at SLAC and send me the location so I can put it in the xrootd
web area...

                                   Pete

Peter Elmer     E-mail: [log in to unmask]      Phone: +41 (22) 767-4644
Address: CERN Division PPE, Bat. 32 2C-14, CH-1211 Geneva 23, Switzerland