Hi Peter, Andy,
a Mobile version of the Java xrootd client is available at

http://www.slac.stanford.edu/~dorigoa/NetFileStream.jar

(it is not an 'obfuscated' package so you can reverse-engineer it)

Note 1: A Java Mobile Virtual Machine compliant with MIDP 2.0/CLDC 1.1
is required in the mobile device in order to correctly run the client;
AFAIK the following models support it for sure: Sony-Ericsson Z1010,
Motorola A1000/E1000, *NEC e228/338/e616V.

Note 2: Some device like PalmOS, WinCE compatible palm and so on, have a
custom JVM unable to run MIDP applications. The free WABA JVM is unable
to run NetFileStream.jar because has a completely proprietary library
for socket and record database.
*
Note 3: The client now is only a demo: just insert the URL on the remote
file (must be an ASCII and short file because its content, and its size,
will be displayed on the mobile device screen) and press 'OK'. No
log/error messages are displayed at the moment so you must take a look
at the server log if something goes wrong.

Note 4: Every Mobile device model hai its proprietary way to deploy/run
the jar application into the device RAM, so I won't describe any method
here. Some model has a software facility to do that very easily (only
under Windows); in other models (like the old Motorola A835) the Java
loader menu is HIDDEN (!), for marketing reasons (I unlocked it some
time ago), I think... Google can help has usual for any problem.

    Alvise