On Wed, Dec 15, 2004 at 04:53:48AM -0800, Stephen J. Gowdy wrote:
> xrootd depends on tex? Doesn't sound like a reasonable dependency. You
> can't add it to the RPM without causing conflits, perhaps "find" could be
> used instead?

  It was discussed whether we should make xrootd depend on M$ Word, too, but
it turned out that it wasn't available on all of the necessary platforms....

  Anyway, I see from the 'access' man page:

     The difference between access and test is  that  the  latter
     looks  at the permission bits, while the former checks using
     the access(2) system call.  This  makes  a  difference  when
     file systems have been mounted read-only.

so I assume Andy didn't use 'test' because of the possibility of read-only
filesystems?

  It is more or less random that it was tetex decided to make a binary
wrapping the access system call (i.e. it is spurious dependence due to the
lack of a system binary providing that functionality) Short of making an
'xaccess' wrapper (ugly), I'm not sure what to do ... What is the portable
way to check if a filesystem is mounted read-only?

                                   Pete