The latest version of xrootd (20041214) is causing us some headaches.
We are getting repeated disconnections twixt client and server. This
may be our fault, but I don't think so. Anyway, in the process it
revealed a serious problem that is not our fault.

In XrdClientPhyConnection.cc the  method BuildMessage has the call (at
approx. line 402)

	m->ReadRaw(this);

ReadRaw returns an error code (throwing an exception might have been
better) if there was a socket error of some sort. This error is not
checked for and so it loops in(de)finitely, printing  error messages in
the logs, but not actually dying or trying to reconnect, or anything
user friendly.

I will get back to you about the problem of the disconnects if I figure
out why they are happening.

(Does anybody read Henry Spencer's "The 10 Commandments of C
Programming" anymore? Yea! Verily!!)

--
Gregory J. Sharp                   email: [log in to unmask]
Wilson Synchrotron Laboratory      url: