  Hi All (in particular Fabrizio!),

  At SLAC in December we had a discussion regarding the "admin" portion
and we wrote down on the whiteboard how the admin sub-commands would be
divided up between two main commands 'xrd' and 'xrdadmin'. I was supposed
to post the lists, so here they are:

            xrd commands            xrdadmin commands
            ------------            -----------------
               rm                     shutdown
               mv                     restart
               cp                     redirect
               stat                   kill
               chksum                 message
                                      pause
                                      resume
                                      monitor
                                      query

  There were some additional notes:

   o "rm /x/y/z/*" cannot be easily supported, but

         xrd rm root://host:port/x.dat

     can of course.

   o The semantics of

         xrd rm root://host:port/x.dat

     will be:

        - delete all available disk copies if host=redirector
        - delete only the local copy if host=dataserver

     Similar semantics apply also for the 'mv' command.

   o "stat" and "chksum" will redirect when sent to redirector and give
     results from a data server.

   o The semantics of the 'chmod' command was deemed confusing and it was
     decided to remove it.

   o The details of the syntax of the 'xrdadmin' were not specified, but we
     need to work through this.

   o We mentioned 'xrd ls', but (I think) didn't finish the discussion of
     whether this is supported.

  Let me know if I missed something or got it wrong.

                                   Pete

Peter Elmer     E-mail: [log in to unmask]      Phone: +41 (22) 767-4644
Address: CERN Division PPE, Bat. 32 2C-14, CH-1211 Geneva 23, Switzerland