  Hi Andy,

  http://xrootd.slac.stanford.edu/xrootd.History

the only differences between version 20040907-0403 (the one we currently
label "production") and 20040830-0105 are small changes to the ./configure
and makefiles, but nothing of substance that would lead to problems with
the olbd. I suspect that there is something else going on. (e.g. the famous
wait/-w problems?)

                                   Pete

On Thu, Feb 17, 2005 at 07:12:08AM -0800, Andrew Hanushevsky wrote:
> Hi Chris,
>
> Those two particular releases seem to have had some problems. I assume
> you are not mixing releases here (i.e., running either on all servers
> causes you to see the problem).
>
> I do know that 20040830 is a stable release. We run that everywhere at
> SLAC for analysis. I'd suggest going with that one until we test out
> the latest release that should have fixed some other problem relating
> to writing files.
>
> Andy
>
> On Thu, 17 Feb 2005, Brew, CAJ (Chris) wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > Since increasing the number of servers at RAL from 8 to 21 we seem to be
> > seeing a new failure mode.
> >
> > All the processes seem to be running fine and you can read a file by
> > going directly to the server that hold is but the server does not seem
> > to respond via the olbd network so if you try to access a file via the
> > load balancer you fail.
> >
> > Restarting the load balancer on the data server fixes the problem.
> >
> > There is nothing unusual in the logs at either end as far or anything
> > missing either as I can tell.
> >
> > This is on data servers running RH73 and xrootd-20040907-0403 or
> > xrootd-20041214-1142.
> >
> > Has anyone else seen this? Is there a fix?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Chris.

Peter Elmer     E-mail: [log in to unmask]      Phone: +41 (22) 767-4644
Address: CERN Division PPE, Bat. 32 2C-14, CH-1211 Geneva 23, Switzerland