Hi Pavel,

We strongly discourage using a data server for a redirector at the first
point of contact. The reason is that the load becomes so unpredictable
that clients may start timing out when contacting the redirector. This is
a general problem of trying to run two distinctly different services on
the same machine (e.g., batch worker and nfs server). That said, yes you
can use the same machine to do both jobs but you will need to:

a) Configure a standard redirector (i.e., xrootd in reditect remote mode
and olbd in manager mode).

b) Start another xrootd (choose any port you want -- is doesn't matter) in
redirect target mode and configure it to connect to another olbd that you
start on the same machine in server mode. That olbd will subscribe to the
other olbd runnng on the same machine.

Clients needing to use the machine for data will be redirected to the
other xrootd on the same machine. However, they will be told use use the
alternate port.

I've tried only once during SC2004 and it appeared to work.

Andy