On Mon, 28 Feb 2005, Peter Elmer via RT wrote:

> Transaction: Ticket created by [log in to unmask]
>       Queue: unix-admin
>     Subject: (x)rootd port number and /etc/services (was Re: anonymous ROOT ...)
>  Requestors: [log in to unmask]
>       Owner: Nobody
>      Ticket: https://webscs01.slac.stanford.edu/rt3/Ticket/Display.html?id=22811
>
> CC: xrootd-l <[log in to unmask]>, Fons Rademakers <[log in to unmask]>
> Subject: (x)rootd port number and /etc/services (was Re: anonymous ROOT ...)
> Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2005 14:42:22 +0100
> To: Gerardo Ganis <[log in to unmask]>, [log in to unmask]
> From: Peter Elmer <[log in to unmask]>
>
>   We could ask the Scientific Linux people to do it, but it would be best
> if it was in the original RHEL builds. This doesn't solve all possible
> platforms, but will solve some of the most common. (Anybody have any
> idea how to get it added to the /etc/services file for MacOSX or Solaris?)

_ There is a standard registry for this kind of thing. Rootd is
already registered. Vendors are supposed to include this in their
OS ( or at least the ones below 1024 ).

_ In general vendors leave it up to sites to configure their
application service ports. It might be a lot simpler just to
hide the error message from the user.

_ Booker C. Bense